Search Engine Optimization
Search engine optimization also referred to as SEO is the method of optimizing your website to rank higher on search engine results. One important component before the actual optimization process begins in analyzing your existing business model. It is essential to clone the process in which you do business physically and duplicate this proven method to your online audience.
It is also imperative to be very detail-oriented when promoting your website online. You have to realize that are is no person at the counter there to answer any questions your potential customer may have. Easy-to-navigate websites that are detailed and pre-answer any question a customer might have is the best method in turning visitors into paying clients.
Before we begin optimizing an existing website we take a few elements into consideration. In some instances, we have to reconstruct entire websites because of the lack of SEO embedded into the site when it was originally being constructed. Some important specifications to consider when building a website are:
- Does your website have meta tags and meta keywords that are thoroughly defined on the website?
Some web designers only implement highly searched-for keywords but never include these words in their content. In most cases, search engines will doc you points for this.
- Are your images tagged properly?
Keep in mind that search engine crawlers are robots that cannot see images, only text. So if your website is all images and is not labeled correctly all the crawler is going to see are blank holes in your website. I am sure I don’t have to specify why this would be bad for search engine rankings.
- Is your website intriguing to the user?
One of the major methods that search engines place websites in search rankings is the bounce rate. Bounce rate is how long a user stays on your site before leaving. Most internet users have a low attention span due to the amount of content on the World Wide Web. It is essential that your website keeps your visitor’s interest; this can usually be done by incorporating the following.
- Easy Navigation: Make the site easy to navigate, to give the overall feel of the website and what type of content it has to offer.
- Design: Most of the time this portion of the site is overlooked, if your site is not appealing and pleasing to the eye, your users will find a website that is.
- Content: The more informative your website the better the ranking. Make sure your website fully describes in detail what types of products and services you offer.
- Products: If you have products on your website can a user easily purchase a product? Having a shopping cart system in place is the easiest and most user-friendly method for visitors to become paying customers.
Managing the Process
Assessing your identity, building your personal brand and managing your online reputation can be very time-consuming especially if you are new to search engine optimization. Some of the components include:
- Constant Search Engine Research
- Website Development
- Search Engine Optimization
- Participating in social networks
- Posting articles
- Issuing press releases
As a small business owner, you may not have the time or the resources to take on the challenge of Reputation Management head-on. As a business owner it is more feasible and often more effective for a small business owner to manage their online identity but with guidance to ensure that the time invested is well spent with a viable outcome. It is always best to hire someone with some online personal relations experience.